While setting off for hiking in the summer without having a difficult route, it is enough to take with you a change of t-shirts, a hat, a jacket for the evening, comfortable jogging shoes and a raincoat. The choice of clothing for autumn, and, especially, winter campaign, should be arrived at very carefully. Women clothes for outdoor recreation in winter are almost no different from men's.
Women clothes for outdoor recreation in winter and all layers
So, by the order:
- You should always have two pairs of shoes. Let’s imaging that while walking the first pair had got wet and you put on the dry one in the evening in a camp, while the first couple was being dried next to the campfire. In rubber boots you can walk without your feet getting wet, but they are uncomfortable when the distances are long. It is the best solution to walk wearing trekking shoes, and you should take light jogging shoes as a second pair. Any footwear should be worn for some time before setting off for hiking. A plaster must be in your medicine box in case of scuffs and calluses. You can dry your shoes next to the campfire, or padding them inside with dry grass (newspapers).
- Socks that you can wear can be ordinary ones made of cotton or you can buy dedicated trekking socks — with thick heel and toe made of modern synthetic materials. It is always useful to have one pair of woolen socks with you, and in late autumn and winter it is better to take two or three pairs. Material used should be only natural wool. Nothing warmer and more reliable still not have come up with. Wool will keep warm even in wet condition. You can dry socks by the campfire or putting on yourself — go to sleep in wet socks (just putting them into a sleeping bag), and they will dry as if they were on a radiator during the night.
- Undergarment. This is the thermal underwear, namely a pair of under trousers and a shirt. Their main purpose is removing moisture from the body into the upper layers of clothing. One of the options for classification of thermal underwear is its matching to the degree of activity expected: whether you will ski wearing it, mountaineering or set off for winter fishing, thermal underwear will be different. Synthetic materials retract moisture better away.
- The middle layer is a fleece jacket and trousers. The main purpose of the middle layer is thermoregulation. Instead of a fleece jacket, you can wear a wool sweater or sweatshirt.
- Upper layer. This is a storm jacket and trousers, the main purpose of which is protection against wind and moisture. Modern storm jackets are often made of membrane fabric Gore-Tex, the hallmark of which is absolute moisture resistant without loss of “breathable” properties.
- In winter, you should sometimes put on a down jacket over the windproof suit. In a ski trip it is necessary for you not to cool down while at a halt, or when it is evening in the camp. To move with your down jacket put on will almost certainly be too hot, but with such a set, even a very severe frost is not terrible.
- It is almost always comfortable to have a fleece hat put on your head. It is useful to have an extra one. In severe frost or during a snowstorm, a dedicated ski mask is used in addition to the hat, completely covering the face from the wind and other bad weather.
- Your hands will feel very comfortable with fleece gloves on, both in autumn and winter. If it is getting cold in winter, you can replace them with thicker gloves with insulation, but mittens are a better choice. The warmest mittens are those made of down.
Now you will be able to avoid many mistakes when choosing clothes for hiking.