With snowshoes you can walk through the woods, and you can also along the steep mountain slopes. To choose the right model, first of all, you should decide on the purpose - the design and characteristics depend on this decision.
Sportswear for hiking can be different, but in what winter activities cannot do without snowshoes?
- walks through the winter forest without paths and roads;
- mountain hiking in winter and spring. Even in May in some mountainous regions there is still a lot of snow: for example, in the Khibiny or in the Western Caucasus;
- mountaineering, and also not only winter. At the beginning of the season, it is convenient to make approaches to the summit in snowy areas with snowshoes, and they will help solo climbers to cross the closed glacier more safely;
- backcountry: for approaches and ascents to the starting place, this is especially true for snowboarders;
- running and competitions;
- hunting and fishing.
Sportswear for hiking in winter
In winter hiking, snowshoeing is, in a sense, an alternative to hiking skis. But when the main goal is not skiing, namely hiking, snowshoeing is more convenient, and here's why:
- they are lighter, more compact and more convenient to transport, they are easy to fasten on a small backpack and transported even in public transport;
- snowshoes are suitable for almost any winter terrain: you can climb and descend along the snow-ice slope, walk through the wild forest without clinging to the bush;
- they have better maneuverability - this is important in a dense forest, where skiing you just cannot turn around among the trees;
- you can walk on snowshoes without preparation, for this it is enough just to be able to walk.
The varieties of snowshoes kinds
- Snowshoes for walking. These are the simplest models. They are designed for walking through forests, fields, frozen riverbeds - that is, for a flat surface or a slight slope. For these purposes, the design with the frame is best suited, but in any case, you should focus on the type of terrain on which you have to walk more. Walking models should be comfortable and securely attached to any shoe, including ordinary winter boots.
- Snowshoes for mountain hiking and mountaineering. Designed for complex travels on mountainous terrain. In such snowshoes it should be convenient to overcome slopes, walk on snow, glacial snow, and ice. In autonomous trips, reliability is especially important, therefore, the most durable materials are used in the design. Snow boots for the mountains are a one-piece deck design, aggressive crampons, good mounts, a thrust bearing is desirable.
- Snowshoes for running.
- Snowshoes for hunting and fishing.